We use cookies on this site to enable your digital experience. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our cookie policy. close
Focus On
NEW In-House Counsel | Insurance | Intellectual Property | Immigration | Natural Resources | Real Estate | Tax

For a child with disabilities, think lifetime benefit trust

Thursday, June 22, 2017 @ 8:45 AM | By Kenneth Pope

When planning for the future of a child with disabilities, there are several options to consider. Choosing the option that will provide a financially dependent child with the most money is not always easy or straightforward.

Registered rollovers 

Tax-free registered retirement savings plan (RRSP) or registered retirement income fund (RRIF) rollovers are commonly used to transfer assets from spouse to spouse and from parent or grandparent to financially dependent children or grandchildren.

There are some practical and legal obstacles that may arise with regards to establishing,...