We use cookies on this site to enable your digital experience. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our cookie policy. close
Focus On
NEW In-House Counsel | Insurance | Intellectual Property | Immigration | Natural Resources | Real Estate | Tax

MARITAL PROPERTY - Equalization or division - Practice and procedure - Courts - Jurisdiction

Wednesday, November 08, 2017 @ 6:09 AM  

Application by the husband for leave to appeal a jurisdictional ruling. The parties separated following a common-law relationship of unspecified duration. In 2016, the wife brought a petition in Saskatchewan seeking equal division of the Saskatchewan family home and unequal division of family property. In response, the husband sought a stay of the action in Saskatchewan and transfer of the proceeding to Alberta. The chambers judge concluded that the Saskatchewan Court of Queen’s Bench had territorial competence to deal with the division of family property and...