Focus On
NEW In-House Counsel | Insurance | Intellectual Property | Immigration | Natural Resources | Real Estate | Tax

Rule of law essay contest open for B.C. high school students

Tuesday, February 06, 2018 @ 11:52 AM | By Carolyn Gruske


It's essay writing time once again for students in British Columbia who want to enter a competition run by the Law Society of British Columbia.

Open to those enrolled in Grade 12 or those students taking Law 12 or Civic Studies 11, this year’s theme is “How does social media interact with the rule of law?”

The original essays must be between 1,000 and 1,500 words in length, “cite at least three varied sources such as reference materials, government documents, legislation and published articles in the body of the essay using any academically acceptable referencing style and must include a bibliography.” Content will account for 70 per cent of the judges’ scores and presentation will make up the remaining 30 per cent.

The deadline for entry is April 6.

The winning entry will earn the author $1,000 in prize money. The runner-up will receive $500.

The contest was established in 2015 by the rule of law and lawyer independence advisory committee in order to present B.C. students with the opportunity to “reaffirm the significance of the rule of law and to enhance students' knowledge and willingness to participate actively in civic life.”

Further details about the contest and the submission process are available on the society’s website