We use cookies on this site to enable your digital experience. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our cookie policy. close
Focus On
NEW In-House Counsel | Insurance | Intellectual Property | Immigration | Natural Resources | Real Estate | Tax
Story image

Explaining Ontario’s ATV and off-road rules and insurance requirements

Wednesday, April 25, 2018 @ 8:30 AM | By Nathan Baker

In Ontario, the Highway Traffic Act (HTA) defines motor vehicle as including “an automobile, a motorcycle, a motor assisted bicycle ... and any other vehicle propelled or driven otherwise than by muscular power.”

However, it specifically excepts certain other things including a power-assisted bicycle (e-bike) or a farm tractor. This becomes even more important when you realize that the Compulsory Automobile Insurance Act requires insurance on any vehicle operated on a highway but things excepted from the definition do not necessarily require insurance.

Some, like snowmobiles, are...